The OP will also not be available. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Sisters Supporting Sisters
Sisters Supporting Sisters is a mental health initiative designed to increase the dialog concerning and support for all aspects of mental health, with the goals of creating a safe environment for members to discuss mental health issues, providing guidance for recognizing signs of and helping members with mental health challenges, and supporting members facing mental health challenges and disorders.
Sisters Supporting Sisters provides online resource materials for college chapters and advisors to openly discuss, recognize, and provide guidance for members facing mental health challenges and disorders. Through partnerships Kappa Alpha Theta has developed with mental health professionals and organizations, Sisters Supporting Sisters is the first Greek initiative dedicated to promoting all aspects of mental health and wellness.
The Sisters Supporting Sisters program aims to raise awareness for mental health and provide safe environments to discuss emotional well-being. Start a conversation by watching and sharing this video.
Double-click the thumbnail to view download options. When downloading the video for a public showing, select the MOV (Source) option for best viewing quality.Mental Health Statistics
- About one in four adults suffers from a diagnosable mental illness in a given year. (National Institute on Mental Health)
- Nearly 45 percent of college students have felt so depressed they found it difficult to function, yet only 20 percent were likely to turn to a school counselor for help. (Results of a 2004 American College Health Association study)
- Less than one-third of adults with a diagnosable mental disorder receive treatment in any given year. (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
- Treatment for mental health disorders is working. Between 70-90 percent of those who seek help see a vast improvement in their symptoms. (National Alliance for the Mentally Ill)
Sisters Supporting Sisters Resources
- Resource Guide (PDF)
- Pinterest Wellness board
- Talk One-2-One FAQ (PDF)
- May Is Mental Health Awareness Month (PDF)
- Online Mental Health Screenings (PDF)
- Alcohol Awareness and Prevention (PDF)
- Depression and Suicide Awareness (PDF)
- Healthy Relationships and Sexual Assault (PDF)
- Self-Esteem and Body Image (PDF)
- Bystander Intervention and Hazing Prevention (PDF)
- Tips for Healthy Communication (PDF)
- Attention Deficit Disorder/Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder for Adults in School and the Workplace (PDF)
- Domestic Violence Awareness Month (PDF)
- Together Against Sexual Assault: You Are Not Alone (PDF)