In 1897, a local group at Brown University, in Providence, Rhode Island, became Alpha Epsilon Chapter. By 1912, 108 women had become Thetas at Brown. Future initiations were prohibited by the administration, leading to the chapter's demise in 1912. Seventy-two years later, two collegians — believing there was a place for women's fraternities on campus — launched a successful campaign for affiliation, and Alpha Epsilon returned to Brown in 1984.
From the very beginning, Theta alumnae have distinguished themselves in their careers and their volunteer endeavors. In fact, some are so well-known that they’re household names, and many have the distinction of being the first women in their professional fields. The archives takes this opportunity to recognize some of our more notable sisters.
Alpha Epsilon Historical Documents from the Archives
Click on the documents below for a variety of historical documents about the chapter.