Kappa Chapter was established in 1881 at the University of Kansas in Lawrence — the first chapter to receive its charter by Convention vote and the first chapter installed west of the Mississippi. Four years later, the 1885 Convention asked Kappa to create a new Fraternity quarterly. The young members published the Kappa Alpha Theta Journal — now called the Kappa Alpha Theta Magazine — its first three years.
From the very beginning, Theta alumnae have distinguished themselves in their careers and their volunteer endeavors. In fact, some are so well-known that they’re household names, and many have the distinction of being the first women in their professional fields. The archives takes this opportunity to recognize some of our more notable sisters.
Kappa Historical Documents from the Archives
Click on the documents below for a variety of historical documents about the chapter.