Kappa Alpha Theta’s mission is rooted in our core values—personal excellence, sisterhood/friendship, scholarship, service, and leadership. These values are not only a set of beliefs shared by all Thetas, but the foundation on which our organization was established in 1870. These values guide all that we do as an organization and all that we do as individuals.
Values-based recruitment is a proven way to recruit members who exemplify our values and are interested in joining the Greek community to enrich the college experience through achieving personal excellence. By incorporating values into recruitment, our chapters focus on executing recruitment events that accurately portray both the benefits and obligations of membership. This allows potential new members (PNMs) to get a realistic sense of what membership in Kappa Alpha Theta means during the college experience and beyond. Values-based recruitment results in members who join our organization due to genuine, authentic connections.
Kappa Alpha Theta supports all aspects of the Values-Based Recruitment policy adopted by the National Panhellenic Conference (NPC). This policy was revised in October 2015 and states:
- Focus on conversations between chapter members and potential new members about organizational values and member organizations.
- Establish guidelines for membership recruitment budgets and set a cap on membership recruitment expenses, including the value of all donated goods and services.
- Keep decorations to a minimum and confined to the interior space used for recruitment rounds.
- Determine recruitment event attire for chapter members that reduces individual financial burden and eliminates costuming.
- Eliminate gifts, favors, letters, and notes for potential new members.
- Eliminate recruitment skits.
Collectively, we as Thetas are dedicated to ensuring that every chapter executes a values-based recruitment. We recognize that each member plays a vital role in sustaining our legacy of leading women by living out our values in her daily life. By recruiting women whose values align with our own, we can ensure that we are welcoming new members who are dedicated to our purpose and mission.