Celebrating Our Founders: Resources to Use
Alpha Chi, Purdue
For many, the plans for Founders Day activities are already set, but some members may be still looking for ideas. The heritage website features content to include in your activities. If you cannot join a group celebrating the day, take some time on January 27 to review some Theta history.
While this entire site is devoted to Theta’s history, here are some particular pages and sections that might be of interest for Founders Day activities:
- Collections – Magazine Articles: Access PDF versions of the “Through the Years” and “Ask the Archivist” articles that have been published in the Theta Magazine since the early 1990s. Articles range from photo essays to more in-depth treatment of notable Thetas and themes in women’s history.
- Collections - Theta by the Decades: Selected images from various decades in Theta’s history are available for review. If you are interested in specific images to use in Founders Day presentations, contact us at the archive.
- Notable Thetas: Find the notables from your chapter. Look at those initiated in a particular decade. Choose an occupation topic and see who comes up. All of these options are available in reviewing the 300+ notable Thetas who are our “Leading Women.”
- Online Exhibits – Our College Chapters: Provides a fascinating look at all the chapters that have been part of Kappa Alpha Theta over the years. Each chapter is represented by an early image (when available) of that chapter, and the presentation is in chronological order.
- Online Exhibits – Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow: A video history of the Fraternity highlighting materials from the archive. You can view it online.
- Resources – Best Practices – Use the Collection: A short guide on how to best use historical materials in a chapter’s collections for programming.
- Resources – Educational Resources: Offers several one-page handouts on the founders, the history of the 50- and 75-year recognition program, and service during the World Wars. You can print them for use in meetings to facilitate discussion.
- Resources – From Theta’s Archive: Brings together in one location the blog posts written on Theta history. These topics can be shared, and can offer a great way to start discussions about a member’s own experiences.
- Who We Are – Our Founders: Provides individual biographies of each of the founders.
Come back to this site as we add new content on a regular basis.
Happy Founders Day!