April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month, when communities everywhere are encouraged to “increase awareness about child and family well-being and work together to implement effective strategies that support families and prevent child abuse and neglect” (childwelfare.gov).
It’s also the perfect time to remember Kappa Alpha Theta’s longstanding partnership with National CASA /GAL Association for Children, our philanthropy that supports and promotes court-appointed volunteer advocacy so every child who has experienced abuse or neglect can be safe, have a permanent home, and have the opportunity to thrive.
Since 1990, Thetas have supported National CASA/GAL in many ways:
- Each college and alumnae chapter raises funds to support National CASA/GAL and/or their local CASA organization. From 2018 - 2020, college and alumnae chapters have raised more than $568,000 for National CASA/GAL through Theta Foundation.
- Individual Thetas can make a restricted donation to National CASA/GAL through Theta Foundation. From 2018 - 2020, individuals have contributed more than $87,000 for National CASA/GAL through donations to Theta Foundation.
- Thetas advocate for National CASA/GAL by sharing National CASA/GAL’s mission and vision.
- Many members volunteer their time as a CASA or support their local CASA organization through other opportunities. Read one member’s story about her involvement with CASA.
Kappa Alpha Theta Foundation has itself supported National CASA/GAL:
- In 2019, Theta Foundation fulfilled its $1 million pledge to help National CASA improve its work in performance measurement and provide resources and trainings to help volunteers advocate for better outcomes connected to children’s safety, permanency, and well-being. (Read more about this effort.)
- Since 1990, Kappa Alpha Theta has sponsored National CASA/GAL’s Program Director of the Year Award, honoring the outstanding work of a CASA/GAL program director. (Meet the most recent award recipient.)
In 2019, Kappa Alpha Theta received National CASA/GAL’s prestigious Children’s Champion Award honoring its incredible service and contributions.
Thetas everywhere take pride in our partnership with National CASA/GAL. Together we can help to end child abuse and neglect.