Theta's Marketing & Communication Department: Telling the Theta Story
Alpha Chi, Purdue
Affectionally referred to as “Marcomm,” Theta’s Marketing & Communication department is responsible for sharing Theta’s stories via publications, emails, social media, and graphics. Marcomm utilizes and shares Theta’s brand across the entire Theta enterprise: the Fraternity, Theta Foundation, and the Fraternity Housing Corporation (FHC). The department’s staff work with not only with other Theta staff but also with the Theta workforce, college chapters, alumnae groups, and members, and provides information to fellow fraternity and sorority partners and the media, as requested.
The department is made up of eight creative individuals.
- Chief Marketing Officer Julianne Butler guides the department while maintaining the Theta Brand. She is a member of the core Convention planning team and reports to Theta leadership.
- Project Manager Gwyneth Franke keeps all Marcomm’s projects on track, working with other departments to facilitate sharing their message while being aware of the larger Theta communication strategy. She is a member of the core Convention planning team.
- Publications Coordinator Lorie Land keeps Theta's publications consistent and updated. She works with departments, chapters, and individual members with requests for member lists and shares her editing skills.
- Strategic Communications Manager Kiera Matel manages Theta’s social media platforms and works with our affinity partners. She is also a member of the core Convention planning team.
- Editor Isabella Markovski-Dickey reviews all communication that leaves Theta headquarters and is most notably responsible for the creation and publication of the Kappa Alpha Theta Magazine and the college and alumnae officer and volunteer e-newsletter known as The Bulletin.
- Marketing Content and Programs Manager Lisa Thibault administers the Theta website and ThetaConnect, manages the blog team and writing schedule and works on other projects involving Theta’s web presence, including Grand Convention.
- Lead Creative Claire White creates the eye-catching Theta graphics used throughout all of Theta’s communication channels. She manages Theta’s official brand.
- Staff Archivist Noraleen Young manages Theta’s archives, processing new materials, answering reference questions, and sharing Theta’s past through blogs, articles, the Heritage section of the Theta website, presentations, and exhibits.
Marcomm is proud of its accomplishments. In 2021, several Theta projects received awards from the Fraternity Communication Association (FCA):
- First place for “Printed Materials – Educational" for 150 Years of Kappa Alpha Theta, Theta’s most recent history book, focusing on images and artifacts that celebrated Theta’s 150th birthday in 2020.
- Second place for “Video Presentation - Educational” for The Kite, a short film that showcases Theta’s founding story.
Despite each of our unique responsibilities, we work closely as a team, sharing our successes and our challenges with one another. We do find time to have fun by sharing stories and photos of our pets and outside-of-work interests.
Theta’s Marcomm department is proud to connect the stories of Theta’s members to Theta’s purpose and mission.